A fire from a natural gas line rupture occurred in a residential city of Las Vegas on Tuesday morning prompting evacuating of nearly 90 residents in nearby homes. No one was injured, and no homes were damaged from the fire.
Firefighters were called to the scene after a backhoe operator digging in the street accidentally hit a natural gas line, sparking an “extremely intense” fire that burned from about 11:30am to 1:30pm.
The firefighters allowed the fire to burn until the gas could be shut off, and they sprayed nearby houses with water to prevent them from catching fire.
Details of who was operating the backhoe have not been released.
Southwest Gas Company spokeswoman Sonia Headen said about 2,000 customers may be without gas service for an unspecified amount of time until the line is repaired. Once service is restored, officials with Southwest Gas will go door-to-door to relight pilot lights.
The company is currently investigating the incident.