Energy Transfer CEO: Still Committed to Dakota Access Pipeline

Kelcy Warren, Chief Executive Officer of the Dakota Access pipeline developer Energy Transfer Partners, told his employees in a memo Tuesday that the company is committed to completing the pipeline project despite a temporary halt in construction ordered by Obama’s administration.

The memo, which was released to some media outlets, stated that the 1,172-mile pipeline project is about 60 percent complete and that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s claim that the pipeline would impact their local water is unsupported.

Thousands of Native American tribal members have been protesting the pipeline near a reservation in North Dakota saying the pipeline would be built under sacred burial sites and could potentially affect the local drinking supply if a spill were to occur.

Warren stated in the memo that the company has “designed the state-of-the-art Dakota Access pipeline as a safer and more efficient method of transporting crude oil than the alternatives being used today.”

Warren also noted that if the government determines the fate of the project based on science and engineering, the Dakota Access pipeline will become operational.

The federal government on Friday required a temporary halt on construction of the pipeline near Lake Oahe in North Dakota so that previously approved permits could be re-examined.

Protestors told media outlets Friday that they will not budge until the pipeline is completely stopped.

Source:
Houston Chronicle